St. Prokopie town, Prokuplje Serbia
When we travel from Niš to Kuršumlija, we are going through Prokuplje. Town in south Serbia, near Niš. This area got name after river Toplica who runs through the town. Saint of this town is St. Procopius.
History of Prokuplje
First traces of settlers here are from 4-3 btc. That discovery is from 1927. And village Pločnik. In 1st century, this area was conquered by Romans and all settlers were romanised that lasted till 5th century. They build the City of Hammeum, as a important crossroad to Naissus. Traces of that ancient city are found in “Latin”, Jug Bogdan church. In 5th century, Slavs settled this territory. Few centuries after it got it’s name Toplica. It still stands. Latin church dates from 14th century.
In this area, in near by Kuršumlija, was first throne of Serbian ruler Stefan Nemanja. Near is village Pločnik, where famous battle happened.
After Ottoman ruling, the town was Serbian once again in 1878. In newer time, citizens of this territory were mostly farmers in pause of constant wars in last century. In second half of it industrialization started in Prokuplje.
Where is Prokuplje Serbia?
Toplica region is in the central Balkan area, in the south Serbia. Town Prokuplje is center of Toplica region. In Roman time it was part of the Roman „via militaris“ road (connecting the central Balkans with the Adriatic) from Niš, the town was known as Hammeum, or Hameo; the first known name of the settlement.The first written traces about the town are from 14th century, as town of St.Prokopije. History of this town is very rich. Romans, Slavs, Ottoman conquerors left their mark in here. Here you can find Hisar fortress, Latin church, St.Prokopije church and more. Today it tends to be modern town. If you like farm and agricultural product from first hand, and nature and rural tourism you can visit and enjoy many villages are in this area.
Ancient history of Prokuplje and Serbia
Archaeological excavations of the remains of a large city from the early Byzantine period in the Zlata (Golden) village. Zlatne Kale is near Prokuplje and not far from the Justiniana Prima, about 14km. It is 15 hectares area, the site of Zlatne Kale, that archaeologists began a research campaign. Walls are of impressive proportions more than 10 meters high. Archaeologists confirmed that this is a great site. Beside Justiniana Prima locality, it is biggest on in Serbia.
On that site, they found the dam for accumulation, from which the city probably supplied water. Were found and the remains of the church, richly decorated with mosaics, and the satellite image of that terrain can clearly see the two streets that intersect in a big market. The researchers say they are a good way to discover the second largest city in the territory of Serbia from the early Byzantine period. English archaeologist Evans and Austrian Kanitz discovered Village Zlata Roman antiquities 19th century.
Year average temperature in Prokuplje
Top image byCrniBombarder!!!CC BY-SA 3.0