Leskovac

City of Leskovac, Jablanicki okrug

The first written mentioning on life in this area was in 5th century by Herodot, historian from Greece, as an area settled with people, farmers. Romans monument’s discovered area on the coast of river Veternica. In the 6th and 7th century Slavs settle this area. Archeological findings from the multi-layer sites indicate that the Scordisci and Triballi inhabited the Leskovac valley before the Roman conquest in the 1st century BC
In addition, certain written documents from 12th century can be found. They speak about Greek emperor Manojlo gave territory Dubočica to Serbian Emperor Great Stefan Nemanja.

Especially relevant, famous cultural-historic monuments in this area are: the Roman necropolis in Mala Kopasnica originating from 2nd century AD, the Eastern Roman town of Justiniana Prima built in 535 AD.
By the legend there was great lake by the settled area in that time. When it dried, it become hazel territory (hazel is Les in Serbian). Yet, during the era of Turks ruling of the territory name for today’s Leskovac was Hisar, that means fortress.
At the end of 18th century Leskovac was center of it’s area with 15 thousand inhabitants.
In addition, by the end of 19th century this city was named Manchester of Serbia. As a result of it’s modern and developed textile industry. First wool factory here founded in 1896.

Leskovac today

Leskovac today is modern city and one of biggest in Serbia. With rich culture and sports life and it’s young people it is a great place to be. It is center of Jablanica county and as such represents surrounding territory. It is second largest city in south east Serbia. In it’s area there are few things that you must see. Pašina česma is picnic site near the city, Kukavica hiking or Sijarinska spa near the city. Hydropower plant Vučije and many more are part of their tourist offer. Read our page about Vučije.

Top post by Koridanaselje CC BY-SA 3.0

Translate »